Msgr. Michael Henry Foltz
Updated: Apr 27
Msgr. Foltz was born 1960 and ordained by Bishop Victor Balke on May 27, 1989. He attended Crosier Seminary in Onamia (class of 1979), St. Meinrad's Seminary in St. Meinrad, IN, St. John's Seminary in Collegeville, MN, and received a canon law degree at St. Paul's University in Ottawa (1991-1993). Assignments: Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Crookston 1989-1991, Chancellor and Moderator of the Curia 1993-1999, St. Joseph's Church in Moorhead 1999-2013, Sacred Heart in East Grand Forks 2013-present, Vicar General and Moderator of the Curia of Diocese of Crookston 2015-present.
On November 27, 2018, a video deposition of Msgr. Foltz was recorded in the matter of Doe 457 vs. the Diocese of Crookston. The file can be read at Jeff Anderson & Associates. The video of the deposition can be viewed through our video section.
Msgr. Foltz has provided counsel to Bishop Hoeppner as Vicar General since July 1, 2015 in which the following situations have occurred in the Diocese of Crookston:
1. October 2015: Failure of the diocese to disclose Msgr. Grundhaus’ name or personnel file in violation of court order obtained in Doe 19 v. Diocese of Crookston.
2. October 21, 2015: Bishop Hoeppner allegedly forces Ron Vasek into silence and coerces Vasek to sign a letter recanting his abuse by Msgr. Grundhaus.
3. 2016: Removal of Fr. Patrick Sullivan from ministry after Doe 457 lawsuit served.
4. December 2017: Bishop Hoeppner reinstates Fr. Sullivan in ministry after review board finds allegations non-credible (review board not provided with Fr. Sullivan’s treatment records).
5. January 2019: Reassignment of Fr. Craig Vasek to the Diocese of Bismarck.
6. February 2019: Fr. Sullivan removed from ministry due to boundary issues.
7. January 14, 2020: Fr. Bryan Kujawa is sent to St. John Vianney Treatment Center in Downingtown, PA for "non-criminal, non-sexual boundary violations". Fr. Kujawa remained at the treatment center until Feb. 4, 2020. Fr. Kujawa remains on administrative leave while Archbishop Hebda investigates the situation. Fr. Kujawa was serving as an Associate Pastor at St. Philip's Church in Bemidji at the time of his removal.